Look back over the past week and try to remember how many times you have complained about some aspect of your life
- I am bored of my job
- I’m tired of being single
- I am skint
- My social life is rubbish
- I hate my body
Then ask yourself- what have you done to change any of these things over the last week, month year?
You see, the chances are that, in order to change any of these things, you are going to have to take some sort of chance or risk and the majority of people stay away from risk. We like to play it safe and stick to the things that are familiar and within our comfort zone. We want to make a comfortable living, have comfortable homes and go to comfortable jobs. This makes us feel safe and secure.
Now this isn’t a bad thing, but it can become a problem as life begins to lack excitement and passion. We learn to settle for everything being OK and forget how to push ourselves to achieve more.
The thing is, if you keep plodding on doing the same things then nothing will ever change. So all the things you are not happy with will continue to make you miserable. For things to improve then you need to take a deep breath and step out of that comfort zone
“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein.
Bored of your job – Go for a promotion, move to a new company, train in something completely different, leave.
Tired of being single – ask friends if they have any other single friends they can set you up with, join a dating site, get a new hobby and mingle among like-minded people, say yes to dates.
Skint – seek the help of a financial advisor, get a part time job, get a promotion, do a car boot sale.
Lack of social life – join a club, start a college night class, make the effort to invite friends out, say yes to all invitations even if they are not your thing – you never know what they may lead to.
Hate your body – check your nutrition, find some exercise you love, get a dog and go out walking.
Now I am not saying any of these things are easy, the thought of doing them may well scare you but it is only through doing these things that change even becomes possible.
Top tips for leaving your comfort zone
- Do it in small steps – What holds us back in our zone of comfort is often a fear, so facing that fear straight on might be overwhelming. Do one little thing each day that challenges you and the more you do it the more confident you will become.
- Focus on the positive – A lot of times we automatically play back our negative experiences and we forget about the positive memories and our previous, positive achievements. Avoid that trap. Let the good memories flow through your mind instead and let things become easier.
- Accept the Nervousness – Don’t try to control how you feel. You can feel nervous or uncertain and still move forward. Just repeat to yourself that no matter what happens, you can deal with it.
- Make Time – Carve out a section of your day for exploring new ideas and adventures. Remember saying you are ‘too busy’ just means it is not a priority.
- No matter how nervous or anxious you feel ask yourself one question – ‘What will life me like if you don’t take this risk?’ Chances are the fear of things staying the same will be greater than the fear of the risk.
Once you take that first step out of your comfort zone the benefits will immediately become clear. You will begin to feel pretty chuffed with yourself, your confidence will grow which will enable you to take more risks, you will grow as a person and life will become more exciting.
I recently complained about a lack of social life, everything was work, work, work. So I made the decision to join a local club. I was so nervous about going along for the first time: new people, new activity, new place I had never been too. It would have been so easy to cancel and stay in my comfort zone. But I did it, I went along and it was great. All the worries about being the new person were totally unfounded and people were very warm and friendly. I can’t wait to go back again next week and I am so glad I took that step as now my social life can begin to change and improve.
So start today. Choose one thing you can do that is out of your comfort zone, it doesn’t matter how small it is, and do it! This not only takes you closer to your dreams and goals, but can help you set your sights higher. You may finally realize you can do everything you want.